Sunday, July 28, 2013

Quilt Show and Class



I had a wonderful time at the quilt show yesterday.  I didn't have a lot of time to check out the quilts and I only took one picture.  The above quilt was probably my favorite in the show and it was made by Sayy B. Rowe.  It is called "Crazy Patches: Four Seasons".  The program states

       The "Four Seasons" center block tree is set on point and framed with a triangle of crazy patch corners.  Fabric choices, designs and embellishments were selected to reinforce the individual seasons.  Source: A Calendar and Quilt Book 2002, Piecemakers, :Piecemakers Times & Seasons Crazy Patches: Four Seasons". Machine pieced, machine appliqued, hand embroidered,  embellished, hand quilted.

I wish I had taken some close ups of the quilt.  I would love to try to make a quilt like it someday.




And here is what I spent the most of the day doing.  I took a Hawaiian quilt class with Faye Labanaris.  I really wanted to learn needle turn and I thought it would be  nice to take a class where I didn't have to lug my machine.  I really find handwork so relaxing even though I didn't get the needle turn right off.  I kept trying to "finger turn".  I picked a simple orchid pattern since it is my first one. I didn't do a Hawaiian border on mine.  I am unsure if I really wanted mine to look like a traditional Hawaiian quilt.  I thought maybe a scrappy border would look cute.  Any thoughts?  It is suppose to be a wall-hanging but since it is my first needle turn project (first one I will finish anyway) I thought maybe a tabble topper would be better.  Then I can put a vase on the mistakes.

I really enjoyed being in a room with other quilters.  I need to take more classes. 

I am linking up at Freshly Pieced: WIPs Wednesdays.

7 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I've always wondered how these quilts were made! I can't remember the traditional border but I think a scrappy border sounds fun. For whatever reason the purple color reminded me of the 1930's feedsack patterns. Look forward to seeing the finished piece!

Mary said...

Even a scrappy scallop border would be cute. It would mimic the curves in the design. I love the look of your piece!

Mary said...

Even a scrappy scallop border would be cute. It would mimic the curves in the design. I love the look of your piece!

Country Maison (Eva Martin) said...

Hi Christine !! Back from a short break !
Your piece looks lovely, although I will have to look up at the 'finger turn' technique you mention here as I'm a very beginner in quilting. But I like you find handwork really relaxing and grounding.

Hope you are keeping well,

xEva

AmandaK@whatthebobbin said...

I vote no border. I love how it's looking so far. I wish I could take more classes. Someday!

Stitchified said...

Good on you for trying something new! It's coming out beautifully!

Kimberly Paradiso said...

Very, very pretty!!