I used a wool blend that I think I found at fabric.com but it doesn't look like they have it anymore (unless I bought it somewhere else). The lining is quilting cotton from Joanns. I was really nervous about making the coat which is one reason why I chose a wool blend instead of wool. And even though it came out, I am still happy with the wool blend (wool and polyester) I picked. It looks like wool and feels like wool. The seams were a little tough to press but not bad.
I made a size 3 knowing it would be large and wanting her to be able to wear it next year too. When I was first making it the coat seemed so huge I thought she would be wearing it to Kindergarten. But once I put the lining in it fit better. I guess I should have known that would happen.
The pattern was much easier for me than I thought it would be. I didn't topstitch where it said optional and I probably should have. The hood lining slides out a teeny tiny bit but I love the lining so it is not a big deal. I was a little afraid that it would be difficult to topstitch because of the bulky seams but when I had to topstitch in later steps it wasn't really hard. I became stuck at sewing the sleeve lining to the sleeve because I was trying to figure out to do it by machine and with a little help I realized that I couldn't and just hand stitched. Since this is the first coat like this I have made, I wanted to keep it simple and not insulate it. Next time I will. I live in Maine and I think your coats can't be too warm here.
Stella loves the toggles. But purple is her favorite color and she has two purple coats so I think I am going to have to bribe her to wear this one instead. Hopefully when I make Bitty Baby's matching coat she will be more agreeable to wearing it.