Sunday, September 21, 2014

Back to School Sewing



Well I finished my "back to school" sewing last Monday but have been so busy I haven't been able to write about it until now.  I am not sure if busy is the right word.  I'm not really that busy but we have had a bunch of changes in our schedule and I just don't feel like I have gotten into a routine with them yet.  As a result there hasn't been much sewing, knitting, or any crafting since then.  But here is the sewing I did prior to that which I really enjoyed.




  I looked at lunch boxes and didn't really see any I liked that much.  Then I saw this pattern on Pinterest and had to make it.  And I wanted my kids' bags to be white.  I feel like I am mom someone could easily make fun of "She made her kids white lunch bags".  But after 7 days of school my son's bag is still clean (My daughter hasn't used hers yet).  I used an embroidery pattern my friend gave me.  It has a bunch of images and Luke and Stella picked out the images they wanted.  I was hoping they would pick the sushi but I still love how it came out.




I had my heart set on making Stella a Melly and Me toadstool back pack since before she was born (that is when I bought the book the pattern was in).  She wanted nothing to do with it.  I decided to go with the Little Things to Sew backpack because I knew it would come out.  She was pretty picky on the fabric I used too.  She picked it out.  I loved that it was on sale. I did have a hard time sewing the side panels so they weren't puckered. I'm not sure what I was doing wrong but I had to keep going.



                                                    


This outfit was my favorite part of all this sewing.  I pinned this dress a while ago.  That was my inspiration.  I used  the picnic blouse pattern and loved everything about it.  I sewed a size 3, added some trim and trimmed pockets.  I hemmed it a little longer (maybe an inch?) than was directed because I wanted it to look a little more tunic like since she was going to wear it with leggings.




The leggings are the playtime leggings and I am very happy with them. I made a size 4.  They fit great.

 Both the gingham and knit I bought online (and already forgot where).  I was pretty happy with them.  It can be a gamble buying fabric online.

I just started a smock-along and my first smocking project.  I am so excited!  I will let you know how it goes.

One afternoon last week I was in the mood to try something new so I carved a stamp.   I used this tutorial.  I found it really relaxing and plan to carve more. 


5 comments:

Deb said...

The lunch bags are just too cute. The backpack, top and leggings turned out well too. Love the carved stamp, very clever. You are a very creative mom!

Helen Philipps said...

Love all the gorgeous things you've made, especially the lunch bags, the adorable backpack and that clever carved stamp!
Helen xox

Sharon said...

You have been one busy mama! The lunch bags are darling. I love her book bag too, it's very cute! Oh my and her outfit! I love, love it! I want to try to make one like this as well! It came out so beautiful.

Cindy said...

I love Stella's new outfit! Not only is it super cute for fall but I bet it's nice and comfy for her to play in.:) The lunch bags are really nice. I like the embroidery on the front. The fabric that Stella picked out for her backpack looks like something one of my younger girls would choose.;)

Settling in to a new routine can be hard. I hope your transition is smooth!

Elizabeth said...

You've been so busy! I love it all! I'm pretty sure my LTTS backpack has some puckers, too. And I love the added pockets!