Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Halloween Costumes








I think I am back from my break.  Well I am posting today but I still have to figure out a way to balance everything.  I think I just want to accomplish far more than is possible in one day and have to accept that I can't do it all.   I really enjoy having a little blog so that I can connect with other crafty people.  I'll keep trying.  Enough about that and onto the costumes.

I love love love making Halloween costumes.  I am so happy I know how to sew so that I can make the kind of costumes that I want to.  October is really a dream come true for me.

Tinkerbell was inspired from this costume.  Mine is no where near as awesome but Stella and I still love it.  I used the Oliver and S Fairytale dress pattern like the one from the Queen of the Flies blog.  I bought some polyester satin from Joanns.  The seams don't lie real flat but it was fine for a costume.  I kind of winged it making the apron using some polyester organza also from Joanns.  The wings were made with this tutorial from Make It and Love It.  I cased the elastic with the same fabric as the dress so it wouldn't show.

I followed this tutorial from Make It and Love It for Peter Pan's shirt, knife, and belt.  It was easy and I love how it came out.  For the leggings I used the Oliver and S Playtime leggings pattern.  It was easy though it didn't come out perfect since it was my first time sewing knits.  Again I thought it was good enough for a Halloween costume.  I used this pattern for the hat.

On Saturday was the Halloween costume parade at the Harvest Festival in my town.  I think Halloween costume parades were created by moms who make their kids' costumes and want them to be worn more than once and in the daytime.  We had a great time though Stella kept deciding to kneel in the middle street while walking.

Is it bad that I am already planning next year's costumes?

5 comments:

Country Maison (Eva Martin) said...

Great to have you back! I knew you would not be gone for long. . .
Same here, sometimes it is hard to juggle everything in life and the blog has been at times an extra pressure.
But at this moment I'm taking it easier and post when I can only. The blog is a place for me to connect also with other crafty women around the world.
Post when you can, we will be still here to read you !
xEva
P.S: I have finished my son's blanket and posted about it yesterday !

Country Maison (Eva Martin) said...

The costumes are sooo cute and so funny to see them both in characters of the same 'story'. You are lucky to have this Harvest festivals, I'd love to have them here !

Great autumn pictures !!
xEva

Cindy said...

The kids are adorable in their costumes! I'm totally flaking on making costumes this year. BK chose her's from our dress up box and I think we're going to borrow MG's from a neighbor's dress up box.;)

I'm reading to start on the long sleeve t-shirts when you are.:) Have you traced the pattern off yet?

Cindy

Anonymous said...

These are great! I love how many different patterns you used and done by mid-October even! My daughter wanted to be a knight but now thinks she's rather be a gnome. I don't know where she gets these ideas but I guess I'll be whipping something up kind of last minute!

AmandaK@whatthebobbin said...

SO adorable!