Thursday, May 15, 2014

Bubble Dress











I bought this pattern (Oliver and S Bubble dress) over a year ago and I am so happy to have finally made it.  I did version A which is the one with the scallops but you can hardly see them in the photos.  I took a lot of pictures since it is quite a challenge to take a picture of Miss Stella that isn't a blur from her running.  The pictures I took with my phone came out better than the ones I took with my camera.  But you can't really see the scallops.  They kind of blend in when she is wearing it too. 

I made a size 3 and it fits her pretty close to perfect.  I think there is enough room so that it will fit her until the fall.  The fabric is one I bought from a little sewing shop near me which sadly is closing at the end of the month.  It is a very light and sheerish cotton which is why I wanted to use it for a lined dress.   I just used some white quilting cotton I had for the lining. 

I am very happy with it.  I feel like I am starting to get better at picking fabrics I really like where before I may have been picking fabrics I really like for 5 minutes or a couples weeks.  Do you know what I mean?  It makes me much happier with my sewing. 

I do have to make something for my boy next (not counting a matching doll dress to this one).  He had to say what makes me a great mom at school for them to write on a certificate he gave me.  He said I was the greatest because I "makes clothes for us".  So I really have to do some boy sewing.  I bought some knit fabric for a t-shirt.  I hope to start soon. 

9 comments:

Hanka said...

It's lovely she is gorgeous!

marisa said...

It's a very sweet dress, Christine. I made this pattern a couple of years ago - the one without the scallops - and I remember it was one of my daughter's favourites. Such a comfortable dress to wear, too, with the lining and the elastic at the bottom.

If you make another bubble dress and want to try making the scallops to stand out more, Nicole at 'Five and Counting' had a method: http://fiveandcounting-motherof5.blogspot.com.au/2011/01/bubble-dress-part-five.html

Little Crazies said...

Darling dress!
And I totally know what you mean by buying fabric you really like. I have 5 storage boxes of fabric that I liked for 5 minutes and now it's all "meh". Ugh.

Deb said...

The dress is so sweet! The fabric is lovely and I can see the scallops in the last photo. Miss Stella will get a lot of compliments when she wears this dress.
Good luck with the T-shirt project.

Helen Philipps said...

Such a pretty dress for your sweet little girl....she looks adorable!
Happy weekend!
Helen xox

Elizabeth said...

Such a sweet dress and it looks so wonderfully summery! I know what you mean about buying fabrics, though. I either need to give some of my fabric away or use it for quilts or something because it just doesn't seem right for clothes. I have such a difficult time with scale, especially. But this fabric- lovely!

Country Maison (Eva Martin) said...

Simply adorable !! Stella is precious in that dress. . .
Love the fabric and it fits her perfectly. . .
You are such a wonderful mum Christine !
I wished I enjoyed making clothes but my sewing skills don't allow me to be that brave :-) I will stick to crochet and knitting for the time being, ha,ha !

xEva

Ockduspock said...

Beautiful bubble dress Christine! I really love this pattern :)

Cindy said...

Such a pretty dress! I love a bubble dress/skirt on little girls.:) What pattern are you going to use for your son's shirt?